If you know me, you know I love quotes, articles, podcasts- all of it. I’ve been listening to a bunch of podcasts on my hour plus drive to treatment, while I’m in bed, walking my dog, etc. While I don’t think you should avoid your problems and run from them, I think that taking time to immerse yourself in someone else’s story can be incredibly beneficial.
Here’s a list of my (current) top 10 favorites, in no particular order (not all recovery related, but mostly recovery related!)
- Maddy Moon’s Mind Body Musings podcast- you can download any episode for free on the app on your phone! My favorite right now is “How I Shed My Fit Chick Label, Gave Up Perfection, and Left Bodybuilding for Good.” You can also listen to it here.
- My all-time favorite Ted Talk: Lessons from the Mental Hospital by Glennon Doyle Melton. It’s the best 15 minutes of your life you’ll ever spend. Watch it here.
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr: it’s a story about a girl who runs from the Nazis with her father, but it’s not the typical WWII-Holocaust story. It’s well-written, and perfect for a vacation.
- This incredibly long but incredibly interesting article about the private prison industry.
- An Open Letter to a Person with Mental Illness: a vulnerable, well-written look into life with a mental illness, and a great pep talk when you need it.
- If you’re so behind that you haven’t listened to Serial seasons 1 & 2 on the podcast app, go NOW.
- Another podcast (of course): Tell Me I’m Fat- all about body shaming, and how our society judges people on size, NOT health.
- Rupi Kaur’s instagram (she also writes and publishes books).
- Blythe Baird’s “When the Fat Girl Gets Skinny” slam poem
- This Lean Cuisine commercial that gets me every.single.time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1I_hFwzOYA
Happy Sunday everyone! I hope your evenings are full of rest, podcasts, and enjoying this incredible weather.